Get the best handicapping articles and gambling advice throughout the football, basketball and baseball seasons from the world's top sports handicappers, as well as from Bovada (Bodog) Sportsbook and Casino.
Heisman Trophy Top 10: Week 2
by Wayne Root - 09/06/2012
"The Heisman Trophy is the greatest individual trophy in the sporting world"
by WAYNE ALLYN ROOT
1. Matt Barkley, QB USC---It's hard to get off to a better start to a season than how Barkley did on Saturday. His first pass against Hawaii went for a 75-yard touchdown. Overall, he was 24 of 39 for 377 yards and four touchdowns.
2. Gino Smith, QB West Virginia---Smith looked very sharp in a 69-34 rout of Marshall. He was 32 of 36 for 323 yards and four touchdowns and he added 65 yards and another score on the ground. His next few weeks will allow Gino to really pad his numbers.
3. De'Anthony Thomas, RB Oregon---Thomas had just eight touches in Oregon's 57-34 win over Arkansas State, but he turned three of those touches into touchdowns.
4. Marcus Lattimore, RB South Carolina---The good thing about Marcus, is that he HAD to pick it up as the South Carolina QB stunk and there was no one else to turn to. He came thru with 23 carries, 110 yards rushing (4.8 avg), 2 TDs
5. Montee Ball, RB Wisconsin---Ball was very middle of the road against Northern Iowa, rushing for 120 yards and a touchdown on 32 carries as the Badgers came away with a narrow, 26-21 victory.
6. EJ Manuel, QB Florida State---Manuel was an efficient 16 of 22 for 188 yards and a touchdown (with one interception) in a 69-3 romp over Murray State. We won't learn much about Manuel and Florida State until September 22 when the Seminoles host Clemson. This week he should set records against Savannah St.
7. Aaron Murray, QB Georgia---Murray was highly efficient in Georgia's 45-23 win over Buffalo, throwing for 258 yards and three touchdowns on 15 of 26 passing. With his team projected to be the favorite in every game this year, he should have some great end of the year stats.
8. Tajh Boyd, QB Clemson---Without suspended wide out Sammy Watkins, Boyd threw for 208 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for 58 yards. And this was against AUBURN!
9. Landry Jones, QB Oklahoma---Landry has the notoriety from last season to get the ball rolling this season. He was 21-of-36 passing, 222 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT in his first game vs UTEP.
10. Tyler Wilson, QB Arkansas---Tyler Wilson, looked very good as he completed 19 of 27 passes for 369 yards and three TDs. He plays that Football Sub Division powerhouse Louisiana-Monroe this Saturday.
Wayne's Honorable Mentions:
Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson
Rex Burkhead, RB Nebraska
Denard Robinson, QB Michigan
Logan Thomas, QB Virginia Tech
Taylor Martinez, QB Nebraska
AJ McCarron, QB Alabama
Tajh Boyd, QB Clemson
Le'Veon Bell, RB Michigan St
Marqise Lee, WR USC